All medical doctors and nurses have had courses in psychology but this is not their specialty. That may explain why doctors and other medical professionals consider a medical explanation before a psychiatric explanation.
You asked about how you can better communicate your concerns to your hospital doctor. You can do this in several ways. These include:
- Informing your doctor about your psychiatric history.
- Explaining to your doctor your specific history with panic and anxiety.
- Writing your doctor a detailed letter about your history.
- Encouraging communication between your hospital doctor and your psychiatrist or attending mental health professional.
- Asking your doctor to read your psychiatric history. He or she could review your chart or psychiatric evaluations. You may have to sign a special form to give him permission to access your personal, psychiatric history.
- Have a nurse, social worker or family member speak to your doctor on your behalf.
Any of those aforementioned methods may help your doctor become more knowledgeable about your panic and anxiety. I hope I have answered your question. Thanks for writing.