Home » Ask the Therapist » What is the best medicine for borderline personality disorder?

What is the best medicine for borderline personality disorder?

What is the best combination of medicine for borderline personality disorder. Currently i am on wellbutrin and buspar. Sometimes i feel like there’s a much better way to be dealing with BPD than just an anti anxiety and anti depressant.Ive been on other medications such as risperdone, seroquel, and geodon but had problems with all 3.

A.

Most people with BPD are highly sensitive and need consistent support while they learn new tools to handle their intense feelings. Borderline Personality Disorder is characterized by emotional dysregulation and unstable relationships. As far as I know, there is no medicine that will cure BPD. Medicines will give you some relief but they won’t solve your problem.

You are right. There is a better way: There is a very well researched and documented treatment program for people with BPD called Dialectical Behavior Therapy or DBT. I suggest you look it up and see if it makes sense to you.

Ideally your psychiatrist would work closely with your DBT therapist. The goal is to use the medicines to help you feel more stable so that you have the room to do your emotional work. DBT focuses on teaching life skills to help you manage your emotional roller coaster. You, your DBT therapist, and your doctor can be a powerful team in making your life easier.