Home » Ask the Therapist » Not Sure What’s Wrong

Not Sure What’s Wrong

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I’m 18 years old and there are some weird things that have been going on since i was little. and are beginning to get worse. here are some sitchuations that has happend. I’ve never asked anyone or had them checked out.

As a kid growing up i had a great home, i did not speak to anyone til 4th grade, as i progressed i wanted to be the center of attention, but when that happend i almost wanted to cry because it was too much.

I have a great fear of people talking about me, looking at me, making fun of me, an public speaking. I can socialize and have a good conversation. but in a group of people i almost shut down and get nervous and studder a lot. i can easliy break down and cry trying to give a speech in class. i’ve gotten called retarded, dumb, stupid.. the works, there’s a long list of things i have been called. always made fun of.

I love being alone. I am perfectly content with out anyone by myside. including family, and friends…

my mind is constantly racing, and thinking. I’m always messing with something or stressed or worried or bored or something. i switch the mood all the time. my thought process is like scrambled eggs..i always forget everything.

one particular problem has occured forever and for example. my room is messy. just like any other teenager’s room, however when my parents come up to “help clean” they start touching things and moving things. it makes me wanna scream and i ball my eyes out because they are touching everything.this has happend since i was at least 8.

panic attacks and anxiety attacks along with asthma are very common with me when i get stressed. i always feel like everyone is attacking me personally. i need help, i need to know whats going on..

Not Sure What’s Wrong

Answered by on -


I cannot determine your diagnosis with certainty based on a short letter but some of your symptoms are consistent with schizotypal personality disorder. These specific symptoms include:

  • consistent, long-term and excessive social anxiety
  • preference to be alone
  • difficulty with social interaction
  • lack of close friends
  • suspiciousness and paranoia

To gain the most accurate diagnosis, you should make an appointment with a mental health professional for a psychiatric evaluation. A psychiatric evaluation generally involves a one to two hour meeting with a mental health professional who gathers detailed information about your current symptoms, your historical symptoms, your family life, how you relate to others, your education and career history, your family involvement, and your developmental and medical history. On some occasions, evaluators will suggest blood work or X-rays to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

Counseling could also benefit you. It is important to recognize that for you therapy may be challenging, due to your social anxiety, but it should not stop you from beginning. Based on your letter, it seems as though this is a long-standing issue that has significantly impacted the quality of your life. Though therapy might be difficult, it is certainly worth the effort. It can help you deal with your intense anxiety. Therapy can also teach you the necessary coping skills to deal with everyday life problems.

Medication might also be helpful. Antidepressant medication and anti-anxiety medication may bring you significant relief.

You can look for psychotherapist by clicking on the “find help” tab at the top of this page. You may also want to consult your doctor regarding this matter. He or she may have a referral they can offer for a psychotherapist or may know of a clinic where you can get a thorough and complete psychiatric evaluation. I hope that this answer helps to point you in the right direction. I wish you the best of luck. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Not Sure What’s Wrong

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Not Sure What’s Wrong. Psych Central. Retrieved on July 17, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.