Home » Ask the Therapist » I want to run away

I want to run away

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I want to runaway from my house cus my aunt is always beating me up for no reason.
current_problem: Ok ima tell you a little about me im 13 years old girl.when i was 6yo my parents past away and now im living with my aunt but since i was 7 she start to beat me up for no reason so now i cant hold it anymore and i wana run away with my boyfriend i love him so much he is 19 yo i meet him 1 year ago. he is a very nice guy and i know he love me too and he always had been there for me to support me because 1 month ago i got rape by this guy from my church and my boyfriend was going to kill him but the guy left the country. so i been thro alot things and the only thing i want to do is run away with my bf to mexico.

I want to run away

Answered by on -


I’m so very sorry for all you have been through. It’s very sad that you lost your parents so young. It’s even sadder that your aunt mistreats you. No kid should be beaten – ever.

As hard as things are, running away with your boyfriend is a bad idea. Although your boyfriend may mean well, he is in a dangerous situation. He’s 19 and you are only 13. If the two of you are having sex, he is committing a crime. If you run away with him, he could be arrested for kidnapping. In most states, it doesn’t matter if you consent. The age difference still makes it against the law for him to be in a sexual relationship with you or to take you out of state. Furthermore, if he had injured or killed the guy who raped you, he would also be arrested. At 19, he should know better.

You need some outside help but I don’t think your boyfriend is the one to provide it. I encourage you to call the Florida Child Abuse Hotline: 800-962-8273 to report how your aunt is treating you. If things are really bad at home, they may help you find another place to live.

Instead of running away, you can call the Boys and Girls Town Hotline to get advice about how to make your life better. Call 800-448-3000 and talk to one of the counselors there. Caring counselors are available 24/7 for kids like you.

You made an important start by writing to us here at Psych Central. Now I hope you will take the next step and make those phone calls.

I wish you well.
Dr. Marie

I want to run away

Dr. Marie Hartwell-Walker

Dr. Marie is licensed as both a psychologist and marriage and family counselor. She specializes in couples and family therapy and parent education. Follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

APA Reference
Hartwell-Walker, D. (2018). I want to run away. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 24, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.