Home » Depression » Moody. What Should I Do?

Moody. What Should I Do?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Help, I don’t know what to do any more. Since I was about 14 I’ve had sever mood swings but they come and go. I may be extremely happy one minute and raging mad the next. Days where I sleep all day and night to no sleep at all. This seems to come with months of depression or months of extrema happiness. I also have bouts of uncontrollable anger.This is the part that truly scares me maybe because I know under the right circumstances I could seriously hurt someone. Although hospitalized several times I’ve never been diagnosed with anything. What should I do?

Moody. What Should I Do?

Answered by on -


The individuals who treated you in the hospital most likely gave you a diagnosis but apparently did not tell you what it was. Usually when an individual leaves the hospital he or she is referred to outpatient services for followup. I’m wondering if you were referred for followup services and if so, whether you attended those treatments.

Perhaps you utilized therapy services after your hospital stay but I get the impression that you are not currently in treatment. I would highly recommend that you see a therapist about these issues. What’s especially concerning about your state of mind is that you feel you could hurt someone “under the right circumstances.” You need to be in treatment.

You may have depression and possibly bipolar disorder. You may not have either of these disorders but you are experiencing symptoms that you are unable to control. This is why it is important for you to be in treatment. This is especially true because of your young age. If you can gain control over the symptoms now, you may be able stop them from developing into a serious mental health disorder.

If you’re feeling suicidal or homicidal then you need to alert your parents and go to the emergency room immediately. Even if it is not an emergency situation, it is imperative that you speak to your parents about your symptoms. Ask them to make an appointment with a primary care doctor, psychiatrist or therapist as soon as possible. The symptoms you have described are controllable with the proper treatment. These treatments may include medication and psychotherapy. It’s important that you do not ignore your symptoms and seek treatment immediately. Thank you for your question.

Moody. What Should I Do?

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Moody. What Should I Do?. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 22, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.