I have serious Body dysmorphic disorder and It’s ruining my life. I dont have a job.. and dont go out.. I’m mad at my family. All I do everyday is look in the mirror and cry. My doctor wanted to refer me to someone who can help with depression, but I was so ashamed of who I am I didn’t go. I never used to be like this. I don’t know what to do anymore. I try to forget, but It’s all I think about. 24/7 my thoughts are swamped with my apperance. I dont want to go on anymore.

A: Hello and thanks for your question. The first thing I would say is that your doctor is absolutely correct in referring you for help. Staying home and crying isn’t going to fix anything, is it?  It hasn’t worked so far.

Here’s what I suggest. You call your doctor and ask if you can have the name of the therapist and call him or her. Say that you are ashamed of your body and you fear coming to see them, then discuss options on how to make the first meeting feel safer. 

Also, ask your doctor (if he isn’t one already) to send you to a psychiatrist for medication for depression. You’d be very surprised how much this can help. What you have may be more easily fixed than you think. But you have to seek help. You can’t get it over the Internet. Please call your doctor today.

Best of luck,

Dr. Diana Walcutt