Home » Disorders » Depression » Do I have symptoms of depression

Do I have symptoms of depression

I am 16 and I go through periods of feeling very low.I cant see a future for myself and feel I have no one to talk to.I feel so alone and often wonder will I ever be fully happy. I have felt like this for over a year and I think it was triggered by moving house. I really hate where I am living now and I feel like the time is dragging until I leave, although I am still in the same school. I went away on holiday recently without family and did not want to come home nor did I miss anybody from home. I was really upset to be back. I do not want to go and see my Doctor as I feel I know her to well. One evening in particular that I was very down I told my mother who didnt understand and was not supportive. I thought it would go away but it hasnt and its been going on for over a year. Sometimes I feel like ending it all and often think of ways I could do it. When I am around people other than my family I feel more happier. Do you think I may have some form of depression and if so is it possible to see another doctor other than my own in confidence? Please help.

Do I have symptoms of depression

A.

Moving is hard on teens. What concerns me, though, is that you are having these thoughts and feelings even though you are in the same school. That suggests that there is more going on than the move and that you are suffering from more than an Adjustment Disorder and that maybe you are depressed. So – yes, by all means, follow up on getting an assessment.

I encourage you to see the doctor who knows you. A new doctor doesn’t have what’s called a “baseline.” A baseline is an understanding of what you are usually like. Your own doctor will have that understanding. The contrast between the baseline and how you are now is what will help her make a proper diagnosis.

And, please, don’t leave your mother out of this. I know you talked to her already. But sometimes we moms don’t want to believe that something is seriously wrong with our child so we just don’t get it at first. Show her our correspondence and ask her again for her help. It’s always worth a second attempt if it means getting support from someone who loves you.

Do I have symptoms of depression