Home » Bipolar Disorder » Husband Having Manic Episodes?

Husband Having Manic Episodes?

My husband has manic episodes…what is wrong with him? I am desperate. My husband has something wrong with him but he does not want to go to the doctor. I have read about so much and I still do not know what it is that is wrong with him. He has manic type episodes. He can be totally fine and then all of a sudden get mad about absolutely nothing, like losing a video game. He is a very religious and loving person but when he gets this way he curses god, says he hates god, says he wants everyone to die, tells me he’s going to kill me, hits me, chokes me, breaks things without any regard to what they cost. We have lived in our new apartment for a month and we already have two broken windows for example. He goes absolutely insane. It seems like he has no concept of reality. He says crazy things, talks a million miles a minute, screams, hits himself, scratches his face, pulls his hair out. The episodes last no longer than an hour and happen at least twice a month (approx.) After the episodes he is normal but tired. Most of the time the episodes end with him falling asleep. He never goes into a depressive state. No legitimate guilt to speak of. He doesn’t seem to understand the severity of his actions. About half of the time he is drunk during these episodes. The other half he is sober. He has been clean from crystal meth for about 6 months now…I’m thinking that may have something to do with it. What is wrong with him?

Husband Having Manic Episodes?

A.

It’s not clear what’s happening with your husband. As you suspected, he may be having a manic or psychotic episode and much of it might have to do with the fact that he is using alcohol at times. These episodes may also be related to his past use of crystal methamphetamine. Yes, he is currently not using the drug but it’s possible that it’s still having an effect on him, perhaps because of brain damage. It’s difficult to know what precisely causes his episodes. He would have to be evaluated by a physician or a psychiatrist to know for certain.

You should also know that these periods of mania or psychosis are potentially dangerous for you. You noted that he goes “absolutely insane” and has “no concept of reality.” When these episodes occur he tells you he’s going to kill you, he physically abuses you, chokes you and destroys the apartment. Afterwards he has no recollection of what had occurred. The fact that he could engage in such destructive behavior and then have no recollection of it should be a major concern for you. He could “accidentally” hurt you or himself.

The next time one of these incidents occurs I would strongly suggest that you call for help. You may have to call 911 and have the police come to your apartment as a way to calm him down. The other option is to call the local crisis mental health team to help you deal with the situation. Please realize that this is a dangerous situation. He has episodes in which he loses complete control and attempts to harm you and himself. None of what you described is “normal” behavior. As I mentioned earlier, there may come a time where he actually does inflict great harm on you or himself. If you call the authorities or the local crisis team then they may be able to help you get him into treatment or at least, temporarily place him in a hospital where he can calm down and be evaluated by the appropriate mental health staff.

The truth is that he needs to be evaluated immediately. Please don’t risk endangering your life or his any longer and call for help when one of these episodes occurs. Calling for help when he has an episode may be the one and only way you can get him in for an evaluation or into some form of treatment. Thanks for writing.

Husband Having Manic Episodes?