Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Psychosis?

Psychosis?

Q. I don’t know what I am doing anymore. I am 17-years-old and a senior in high school. I don’t seem to feel as good as normal anymore. i can’t think about less than 5 thoughts at one time and i’ll wake up completely forgetting what i did the day before. i don’t drink or do any drugs. I see shadows move around me constantly and i hear my name being whispered in my ear a lot. When I am having good days always seems to be a day that i have anger outbursts. I went to a hospital last year because of a voice was shouting insults in my ear until i snapped and tried to kill myself. while at the hospital, i had to be explained that the sprinklers were not cameras. I felt someone touching my shoulder there. So what should I do to reduce stress in my life?

Psychosis?

A.

It is important that you see a mental health professional about this issue. You seem to be having difficultly staying grounded in reality. It’s concerning that you’re currently hearing voices. You have a history of hearing voices that command you to harm others. It’s worrisome that even on your “good days” you’re having anger outbursts. You are also experiencing the sensation of being touched. These symptoms may indicate that you are experiencing some form of psychosis and if so, it needs to be treated immediately.

If you are treated now you may be able to stop the escalation of a psychotic episode. A mental health professional can help you reduce the stress you feel and help you stop these unpleasant symptoms that you are experiencing.

Please seek help immediately. Do not hesitate to seek help and please do not put this off. You have several choices as to how you can access help. You can go to your parents and tell them what you wrote in this letter. You could also go to a hospital or contact a mental health professional (e.g. doctor, social worker, therapist, etc). You can be helped and your problems are treatable but first you have to let those around you know that something is wrong.

Psychosis?