Home » Anxious about being anxious

Anxious about being anxious

hello. well, one time I posted about having what I believe were several panic attacks when I was on a trip overseas. I’m all better now, and the past 5 months or so have nearly been anxiety and depression free. Well, i am not diagnosed with anxiety or depression, but prior to the trip, I thought I was experiencing a bit of both, but wasn’t really sure there actually were symptoms, and if the ones I thought I had were strong. most of the is gone, and I’ve been exercising more often, taking vitamins and eating very well, as I often do anyway. things are a lot better and i’m so happy and everything.

I’m just sad that at some point I thought my life was really in danger. I’m scared for my life, and that’s the worst thing to be afraid of, it ending. feeling pretty sick. that’s pretty much how I felt during the ‘attacks.’ since then, august or so, I haven’t felt as horrible.

I’m thinking, okay, maybe I’m not developing something. do you think so? I mean, I considered bipolar disorder- but I doubt I ever experienced mania. I think it was mostly anxiety- I was thinking, like about a song or something, it just got stuck in my head, from time to time, I felt weird, and sad. I thought maybe it is hormonal. I don’t know what to do, please help. I also read that if it is bipolar, teenagers experience bits of symptoms , but don’t they feel it like all the time? anyway, my main question is , do you think that by now, 5 months later, I would have developed something , like anxiety, bipolar or depression? because I am trying to figure out if it was a one time thing, pms related, or something else. thanks for help

Anxious about being anxious

A.

The worst thing about a panic attack is having one. The second worst thing is worrying that you might have another one. The experience can be so frightening that it’s not a bit unusual for a person to become anxious about getting anxious.

I think that’s what may be going on here. You’re doing all the right things to keep yourself healthy. You’re generally feeling pretty good. You’re having the normal ups and downs of being a teen. But you are still on high alert for something being wrong.

My best suggestion to you is that you focus on learning some techniques for self-calming and relaxation. Meditating, slow breathing, imagining a safe and peaceful spot, etc. can all have a calming effect. No one can guarentee that you’ll never have another panic attack but if you know how to calm yourself, you’ll feel more in control and able to help yourself if you ever do.

I seriously doubt that your are developing a mental illness. But if you can’t rid yourself of your concerns about it, you might want to see a counselor for a couple of sessions for your own peace of mind. A counselor can also coach you in those self-soothing techniques if you are unsure about your ability to do it on your own.

Anxious about being anxious