Home » anxious-ambivalent adult attachment style

anxious-ambivalent adult attachment style

Q: ‘m studying psychology at my university, so I know for sure what my problem is in relationships. I have an anxious-ambivalent adult attachment style. So far this has ruined a number of my relationships but not all of them. I know I’m anxious-ambivalent because thinking about the women in my life is the first and last thing I do in the day. If I have nothing better to think about, I’m thinking about my relationships. If I don’t have a relationship at the time, I’m mentally searching through my known relations looking for the next. I’m jealous, worry about being dumped, and take heartbreak hard.

My life feels on-track when I am in a relationship, but I rarely feel comfortable in it lasting. I felt comfortable in my last relationship, which ended about 3 weeks ago, and now I’m worried I’ll never learn to control my anxieties. You could say success in relationships is my life-goal.

So what strategies can I employ to overcome these issues? I’m open to almost everything except medication.

A.

An occupational hazard of studying psychology is the tendency to see ourselves in the things we study. I’d need to know a whole lot more about you, of course, to offer a diagnosis. But I’d at least like to suggest that much of what you are feeling and thinking about is age-appropriate. This isn’t to minimize what you’re feeling. Figuring out relationships can be very, very hard.

Part of your training if you are thinking about being a psychologist is to get some experience as a client. It’s important to know yourself as best you can so that you can be effective as a therapist. And it’s important to experience what it means to be a client so that you can be empathetic with your own clients some day.

My best suggestion is that you locate a therapist and sign on for a few sessions to help you explore whether you are truly anxious-ambivalent. Regardless of the diagnosis, a therapist will offer you some support and will help you identify and practice the strategies you are looking for.