Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Is Feeling “Unreal” Related to Schizoaffective Disorder?

Is Feeling “Unreal” Related to Schizoaffective Disorder?

Q. I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and recently I had a period where I didn’t believe anything was real. None of us existed and the world wasn’t here. I even tried to walk through walls and was frustrated when I couldn’t. It’s scary and troubling when this happens. Sometimes I wonder if I’m possessed or someone‚Äôs controlling my thoughts because I can never seem to sort anything out anymore. What is happening? Please help.

A.

What you have described may be a symptom of schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder. Nothing can be more frightening than our mind incorrectly portraying reality. What you may have experienced is a delusion. A delusion is a false conception of reality. You also mentioned that you wondered if you are possessed or someone is controlling your thoughts. This type of thinking (thought control) is also common with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder.

If you are experiencing these symptoms then I suspect that you are either not on the correct medication or you are not yet in treatment. I would suggest that you talk to your doctor about these symptoms or find a doctor immediately and discuss with him or her whether there is a treatment that can reduce or eliminate these frightening symptoms. Medication is one treatment that can help you greatly. I hope this helps.