Home » Parenting » Overwhelmed by too many kids

Overwhelmed by too many kids

Q: hi i have 2 kids 41/2 and 3 and i just recently started watching my friends 2 daughters who are 2 and 3 and i feel like im gonna go crazy,i just cant deal with the combination of the 4 kids togehtor,my son and her oldest are constantly after each other i feel bad im doing my friend a favor she has cancer and currently unable to walk well long story behind that,am i a bad person for not wanting to watch them anymore i just feel like i wanna scream,and now i feel like im being mean and yelling at my own kids because im frustrated with hers please help,should i just hang in there or should i just tell my friend i cant do it anymore thanks

Overwhelmed by too many kids

A.

You are absolutely not a bad person for being overwhelmed by the situation. You’re a very good friend who tried her best. Not everyone is cut out to run a daycare. If you continue, you will end up resenting your friend, hurting the children emotionally, and feeling bad about yourself. None of that is good. Talk honestly with your friend. There may be other ways for you to help her out or give her a needed break. You won’t feel so bad about taking back your offer to care for the kids if you find other ways to be supportive. For some ideas, check out the article called Organizing for Illness.

Overwhelmed by too many kids