Home » Ask the Therapist » Son is Angry and Out of Control

Son is Angry and Out of Control

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Q. My son has a been threw alot. He went to foster home for about a year. He has been back home for two years now. He is 9 years old. His Dad never calls, or helps us out. If he dose call, he tells him he is sending money or gonna come get him. His Nanny just died about 8 months ago. But they werent really close. I have a boyfriend I have been with since he came back home. And he fusses at him and my other baby. He grounds them. He has never hit them. My son thinks he hates him but he really dont. He just wants him to abide by the rules, not talk back to me. And make good grades. We were really close, we talked about every thing. Now things are falling apart. He tells me no. He raises his fist up at me. He hasnt hit me yet. He tells me I am not his boss. He just reasonly became this away. In the last four months. And it is getting worse. I love him with all my heart, and will do what ever it takes to make things right. I just need help. Please! I took him to the doctor about a month ago and they set up an appointment with a phys. But it is not till the end of june. I couldnt wait. So I swiched doctors and took him to another one yesterday and he put him on Depakote. I know it is still too soon to work. I guess I just need to know what else to do!

Son is Angry and Out of Control

Answered by on -


You should attempt to find a therapist or adolescent and youth behaviorally-based therapy program to help with this issue. You need assistance in knowing how to deal with his behavior and this you can get with help from trained mental health professionals.

You said that you were taking him to a physician for medication. It is good to have him evaluated by a physician to rule out any medical issues but it would be a colossal mistake to think that giving him medication is the only way to solve this problem. He may need medication as one part of his treatment but medication alone is not the answer.

You can find help for your son several ways. Contact local mental health agencies and ask if they have or know of programs that provide therapeutic assistance to youth with behavioral problems and their parents.

You can also ask the doctor you and he will see at the end of the month for a referral to a therapeutic program. Oftentimes these programs not only work directly with the child but they do a great job teaching parents how to better interact with their child. This is the type of program you need. I hope this helps. Good luck to you and your son.

Son is Angry and Out of Control

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Son is Angry and Out of Control. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 24, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.