Home » Ask the Therapist » Can Enuresis Be Psychological?

Can Enuresis Be Psychological?

Q. I feel that i will lose the man i love because i think i can’t marry him, because i have enuresis: i am a final year medical student, deeply in love with a newly graduated doctor who is 1 year older than me, our relationship is great and very satisfactory for both of us, but the old problem i have since i was 6 years old is blocking the way to our dreams of getting married, making a family and having kids, this problem is that i have secondary enuresis that didn’t respond to any treatment i tried, i just want to find out, can it be psychogenic? And can psychotherapy do me some good? Can i ever be a normal person?

Can Enuresis Be Psychological?

A.

When someone has been checked medically for the condition of enuresis and the results come back negative or inconclusive, the default tendency is to think the problem is psychological. But this may not be accurate.

You have been assessed medically for this problem and nothing was found. This does not mean that your problem is psychological. It could be that it is a physical problem that has gone undiagnosed. You should continue to investigate this medically, getting a second, third or fourth opinion if needed. If after you have exhaustively explored this issue medically and still no cause can be found then you should consider seeing a mental health professional.

It may be helpful for you to seek the help of a mental health professional while you continue to search for a medical cause to this problem. A therapist can help you deal with the shame you feel associated with this issue and advise you on how to explain this situation to your potential new husband. He or she can also help you realize that you can absolutely be a “normal” person.

In summary, I strongly recommend that you do not stop exploring this problem medically. You should also consider seeing a therapist, to help you through this very challenging time.

Can Enuresis Be Psychological?