Home » He’s Growing Distant from his Girlfriend.

He’s Growing Distant from his Girlfriend.

I have been in a very serious relationship with an amazing woman that I love an incredible amount. I know that she loves me and she professes that she is ‘happy’. However, she rarely smiles and dramatically overreacts to the smallest slight. I have sacrificed everything for her and have provided what most grounded people would consider an amazing life. At some point, I just do not think that my love for her is enough. Also, she has not touched or wanted to touch me in over nine months. Should I accept reality or should I keep trying to make this work?
Thank you!

A.

Nine months is a lot of disappointing reality. Your girlfriend sounds deeply troubled. (Of course, I’m getting only your side of the story.) She says she is happy. You say she loves you. But her words and her behavior don’t reflect a happy woman who is in love. From your point of view, you are doing all the giving and she is doing all the taking. She must be amazing indeed for you to tolerate getting so little in return for the love and amazing life you are providing. I’m sad for both of you.

I can’t tell you what to do. I can tell you that what you see is probably what you’ll continue to get. Unless your girlfriend is willing to do some serious personal work, what you have now is what you can expect for the future. If that isn’t enough for you, you should probably move on.

I wish you both well.