Home » Is this anxiety or what?

Is this anxiety or what?

From a S. American teen: well im about 16 just moved to a whole new country with my family i been dealing with anxiety pain and drama also living with my moms problem and covering her problems..now i don’t know what is happening im having nightmares everytime i sleep and i’m never hungry i have major headache and now my left arms keep getting numb and i can’t feel it at times. i feel like im not even here cause there is a point when my body just goes numb. i also get feeling that my heart beat gets fast then slow now im just really upset but i seem not to really show it i also been having really bad mood where i don’t want to be with everyone. i need help i don’t know whats going on with me and what’s happenin …i need advise please

Is this anxiety or what?

A.

This must be quite frightening. I’m glad you are trying to take care of yourself by looking for some answers. You could have a medical problem, an emotional reaction to stress, or both.

The very first thing you do, and do immediately, is see a doctor. Even though you are going through a lot of changes and drama, you could still have a medical condition. With the symptoms you are reporting, it’s important to rule that out first.

Whether or not you have a medical problem, you still might need some psychological support. It could be that some or all of your symptoms are the result of a Generalized Anxiety Disorder. In that case, it would probably be helpful for you to see a counselor to help you manage the many stressors in your life. Please ask your doctor or some other trusted adult to help you find a counselor who works with teenagers.

Please don’t wait to make an appointment with your doctor. I’m concerned about you.

Is this anxiety or what?