Home » Does My Friend Have a Disorder?

Does My Friend Have a Disorder?

My friend tells me anything and everything, but not her parents or anyone else. But she has been acting a little strange for about a year and a half, and I’m a little worried about her. For instance, she’s told me that some numbers are good and some are ‘evil’. I asked her why, but she just said she believes numbers can influence the way her day turns out, or if anything bad happens to her, and that at times it can be distressing. Recently, she lost her anger on her other friend and injured her(not severely) She said that she thinks her friend wants her to be mad, so she can tell people about what she did, if she does anything harmful at all. Also recently, she’s become withdrawn from us. She won’t talk much on the phone anymore, and she seems distant sometimes. Well, I think everyone can be distant once in a while, but she never used to do that this much.

My friend also told me that it’s very uncomfortable for her in social situations. She said that if anyone tries to make friends with her, she’ll think they will just try to humiliate her later, that they are in love with her or that they will threaten her in some way. She also thinks that her other friend is pretending to like her, and that she really hates her. I told her that isn’t true, because it’s obvious her other friend likes her even more than me.

She is, at times, vague in her conversations. And whenever I ask to be a little more specific, she gets really annoyed and asks me why I can never understand. It seems as though she’s changed over the last few years. I asked her if she questions herself, or if she really believes that numbers can make bad things happen or that everyday people could threaten her, or that they are in love with her and try to kidnap or molest her. She said that she does believe they can, and that she does doubt it atleast a little sometimes, and that sometimes it’s half in half: Halfway between believing it, but also doubting it at the same time, but nervous around people either way. I’ve been wondering lately if she has some kind of disorder. Do you have any idea what this is?

Does My Friend Have a Disorder?

A.

There is really no way to know what your friend may or may not be suffering from. You noticed that her behavior has changed, she is superstitious, a bit paranoid, withdrawn and moody, and a little bit overdramatic. Although these are behaviors to watch and be concerned with, there is nothing that you have described that matches any particular diagnostic disorder. This is not to say that she is not suffering with any type of disorder or that these are not the beginning signs of a disorder. It is just that based on these slight behavior changes, there would be no way to diagnose her with any type of clinical disorder at this point, especially over the Internet. A clinician who evaluated her in person, however, may have a different opinion.

There could be many issues going on with your friend. There could be family problems. She could be worried about her future or what is going on in her current life. There could be a whole host of things causing her behavior to change. Also, many people are superstitious and believe that certain numbers bring them good or bad luck. It’s very common.

To the best of my knowledge, her behavior does not match any disorder in particular. But it is a good idea to keep a watch on her in the event that her behavior worsens. If this occurs do notify her parents and other concerned friends and family. Take care.

Does My Friend Have a Disorder?