Home » Should I See a Therapist or Try Medication?

Should I See a Therapist or Try Medication?

Q. About a year ago I noticed that I could not stop complaining about little things. I would tell everyone about every little thing that annoyed me. I didn’t notice how much I complained, until friends, family, and co-workers began to ignore me or say, “Deal with it.” I wanted to stop complaining, but I found myself doing it more and more. I have also noticed a significant drop in my work habits. I have become very disorganized and forgetful. I used to forget small things like the keys and my wallet. Now I miss meetings and important tasks, even when I am told in 45 minutes there is a meeting that I need to attend, I forget until someone reminds me. I have been writing things down and trying to keep organized, but I still miss important things. I can’t even play a board game because I forget when it’s my turn or the rules of the game. My family gets annoyed that they keep telling me the same rule over and over. I would say it’s Alzheimer’s, but I am in my early thirties. I feel like my brain is constantly switching channels. I start one task, but then I remember I haven’t completed a task from last week. Then mid-stream I jump to another task and at the end of the day, I only complete one task and have forgotten all the others. I often have the feeling that I am worthless and I added no value to my family, friends, and co-workers. I feel like I am huge anchor holding everyone back from enjoying life and as a result I don’t want to be around other people. I just want to be back to normal. Should I seek a therapist, or medication?

A.

I would first suggest that you see your primary care physician (PCP). Tell him or her about your forgetfulness. Ask for an opinion as to whether you are experiencing “normal” memory problems or if there is a more serious memory-related problem present. You should also tell your PCP about your other symptoms. It is a bit unusual to forget that it’s your turn while playing a board game but then again this may be entirely normal. Because you feel that your forgetfulness is getting progressively worse, it’s most wise for you to be evaluated by a physician. Do this first.

It is difficult to know if the other symptoms that you mentioned, complaining, feeling worthless and forth are related to your problems regarding your memory. Complaining and feeling worthless are problems that can be addressed by a therapist. A therapist can also help you find better ways to battle your forgetfulness as well but first address the concerns regarding your memory with a doctor before consulting a therapist. It’s important to rule out any cognitive problems at this point before beginning therapy or medication of any kind. I hope this helps. Take care.