Home » OCD » OCD not getting better

OCD not getting better

Q. HI, I asked a question here several months back and have since officailly been diagnosed with OCD. I started see a psychiatrist back in July and am on paxil. I started out on 20 mg and recently went up to 30. The only thing is that I feel like things have gotten worse. Some of my compullsions have subsided but I feel like my depression has gotten much worse. I’m exhausted in school and just can’t even handle being there. I’ve lost my concentration on my school work and feel like I just stare at the paper. Normaly I’m good student but now my grades are suffering at a very critical point in my high school career. I really don’t know what’s goig on. Help!

OCD not getting better

A.

Thanks for writing. OCD often requires the treatment of therapy and not just medication. Just taking medication alone rarely works to solve the problem. I am not sure if the medication may be making your problem worse, or if you are on the wrong medication or if it’s that the OCD has worsened. It could be one or none of these but I would suggest you try therapy in addition to or instead of medication. Ask your psychiatrist to refer you to a therapist. A therapist can work with to find way stop the OCD behavior, find other ways to handle stress or other illness related symptoms, and maybe, he or she can help you figure out why you are engaging in OCD-like behavior. I hope this answers your question.

OCD not getting better