Home » Disorders » Depression » He is losing his girlfriend because of depression.

He is losing his girlfriend because of depression.

I have battled with feelig of depression for about 4 years now. I always seem to feel slightly better when I am single and recieving lots of attention from women. I met a woman about 2 years ago that I totally fell in love with and wanted to marry. I have experience in relationships one spanning as long as 5 years so I know a bit about whats out there, so when I met this women I couldnt help but feel she was different. My concern is this, it alwas seems as if something happens that can cause me to stress or become anxious with either her or others. ive struggled with her past since I met her and that along with a not so healthy relationship with my step-dad have found myself pushing her away. She loves me but this week she told me she cant help me or be here anymore cause she dosen’t deal well with my depression. Ever since my stepfather fired me I felt no drive. I have stayed in doors and havent done much. Im not so confident in my looks since I have been loosing my hair and I guess I have kinda given up. Where do I go from here?

A.

Where you go from here is to a psychiatrist and a therapist. Although I can’t diagnose you on the basis of a letter, what you describe is consistent with a diagnosis of a clinical depression. Very few people can just buck up and pull themselves out of this condition. It takes a combination of medication and talk therapy and a commitment to sticking with both for at least three months. The medication will help you feel better enough to take advantage of what the talk therapy has to offer. If you need help finding a therapist, you can click on the Looking for a Therapist? link on our homepage. I checked and there are a number of qualified therapists in your city.

You stand to lose the person you love. I hope that is motivation enough for you to go get treatment. Life has handed you some challenges but you can recover if you give yourself a chance.