Home » Disorders » Sleep » How should my husband handle my sleepwalking?

How should my husband handle my sleepwalking?

MY HUSBAND AND SON HAS MENTIONED TO ME THAT I SLEEP WALK AT NIGHT. SHOULD THEY WAKE ME UP DURING THE EPISODE? OR SHOULD THEY JUST LET ME DO THAT? MY HUSBAND HAS SAID HE’S HIT ME TO TRY TO GET ME TO WAKE UP BECAUSE I WAS NOT RESPONDING TO HIM. WHAT SHOULD HE DO?

A.

Contrary to what many people think, it isn’t dangerous to wake a person who is sleepwalking, although the person may wake up confused and disoriented. Most of the time, it’s helpful to just walk the person back to bed. If you won’t go back to bed, your husband could just follow you around and keep you safe until your body is ready to lie down again. It’s not necessary to disturb your slumber. Your husband should never hit you, regardless of whether you are awake or asleep.

However, you didn’t mention what you do when sleepwalking. Some people pose a danger to themselves and others because they try to do things like use the stove or make a snack using a sharp knife, for example. If you are doing dangerous things, you should make your environment as safe as possible to protect you when your body is doing things but your mind is far away in dreamland.

If sleepwalking happens frequently, you should see your doctor for a consultation. It may be nothing. There is a small percentage of adults who regularly sleepwalk. However, the sleepwalking may be an indication that something more serious than a midnight stroll is going on. You should at least check it out.