Q: Hi I’m 14 and I live with my single mother and also my grandparents live 3 houses down so I basically live with both. I recently found out all three of them are doing an illegal drug marijuana(pot). I believe in the smoking way but they know I found out and if I report them and they go to jail I’ll be in a foster home and they’re addicted to it and there are bad side effects like my grandmother recently had a heart attack and they’re not going to stop. All three of them are also very angry and very high aggression and it’s driving me crazy please help –thanks.

A: You are in a tough situation and I think you first need to find some support. Do you have a teacher or school counselor, neighbor, or some other adult who you trust to talk to? Otherwise, you could first talk to your mom and grandparents and let them know your concerns and that you are worried about them and would prefer they try to get some help. If you don’t feel like you can do this or if it doesn’t help, I would suggest calling the Child Protective Services (800-96-ABUSE) so they can help you. It would be more likely that they would mandate that they get treatment rather than sending them all to jail (unless they are selling the drugs or growing it). You could first call anonymously and ask them what they would do in a situation like this without telling them who you are. With them using drugs and being angry, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to go to foster care until things get better. Do you have any other family members you could stay with? My heart goes out to you and I hope things improve soon. Hang in there and thanks for writing.