Home » Could her friends be right?

Could her friends be right?

My family, friends and boyfriend have all expressed their worries about my behaviour in the last year.

One of my friends is in his last year of medical school and one of my friends is a nurse. Both of whom have said [separately] I’m suffereing symptoms of a manic episode! They say I’m cocky, spend money I don’t have, I annoy them because I don’t sleep, I talk too much and I can’t keep a job because my attention span’s the size of a rodent. Not only that, they’ve started telling my parents and boyfriend too!! I think that is completely out of order!

I was diagnosed with depression last October and in February I came off my medication [citalopram] because I felt better and have been feeling better since! I do talk lots and spend lots too, which because of I do have debt) BUT I’ve always been like this and have never expressed any worries about me before!

My friend also came with me to an appointment I had with my doctor and expressed her concern and told him to look at me [I couldn’t keep still], he thought I was entertaining and said nothing more and said I was fine! But still my friends aren’t convinced and want me to go back and see another doctor!

As I have said, nothing is wrong with me, I go from mood to mood just like everyone else. That is the first time I was diagnosed with depression, but not the first time I’ve had it. It does come back at least once a year, how long it lasts is random, usually at least 3 weeks the longest being 6 months.

What will it take to keep my friends off of my back?

Could her friends be right?

A.

You’ve done what I would recommend already, i.e., taken your friend with you to talk with your doctor. I guess it depends how much you trust these friends and how much you want to keep them. It’s possible that they are over-reacting, in which case a second doctor will tell them the same thing. It’s also just maybe possible that they’re on to something. The behaviors you describe could be symptoms of someone who is hypomanic. (The trouble with mania is that the person experiencing it feels terrific so doesn’t see any problem with his or her behavior.) If that’s the case, you might benefit from some treatment.

From my point of view, all you have to lose by getting a second opinion is the doctor’s fee and a little bit of your time. If you want to settle the issue, get your friends to agree to pay for the visit, be completely honest with the new doctor, and see how it goes. If these friendships aren’t worth the trouble, maybe it’s time to look for other friends.

Could her friends be right?