Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » I think my boyfriend is Schizophrenic

I think my boyfriend is Schizophrenic

Q. My boyfriend of two years confided in me when we first started dating that both his older brothers were victims of schizophrenia. They have both been treated and recovered but neither continue medication. It is sad to say that neither of them are the same . It is because of this that my boyfriend ( the youngest of the three) believes that he is next in line for this disorder. He is always talking about it.

For a while now, when we get into arguments, he seems to display really different and irrational anger. Hes become extremely violent, so far as breaking things, throwing tvs, ripping doors out of walls and even pushed me. But then he’ll have a sudden change of behaviour and start saying that he’s “tripping out” and start sitting in a rocking position and start crying like a little child.

At first I thought he was bipolar, but tonight he got upset again, and acted the same. He had a sudden burst of anger, then he began sobbing and talking to himself. He was saying things like ” i wonder if this is what my brother felt when he was sick” he talked to himself the whole time and kept telling me to not repeat to other people what happened. Is there a chance that he is a victim of this disorder as well? Or is he just making himself believe it?

I think my boyfriend is Schizophrenic

A.

There is a reasonable chance that he too has schizophrenia but only a long, in-depth, in-person interview could confirm such a diagnosis. Schizophrenia has a strong genetic component meaning that if a family member suffers with the disease, there is a greater likelihood (certainly not a guarantee) that another family member will suffer with the disease as well.

I do not think that anyone can make themselves believe they have schizophrenia and then subsequently make themselves behave “like a schizophrenic.” If someone is acting bizarrely and in a very irrational manner, it is because something is seriously wrong and not done deliberately or on purpose.

While I cannot know if he has schizophrenia, I do know, from your letter, that there is something seriously troubling him. His behavior is out of control and dangerous. He needs professional help as soon as possible. Additionally, I am worried that he may hurt himself or hurt you. You mentioned that he has a “sudden change in behavior” and is “extremely violent.” This should be of critical concern to you.

It is apparent that he needs to be evaluated by professionals. Do your best, and this is certainly easier written than done, to get him to agree to get treatment. His behavior is too unpredictable and he unable to control his actions at this juncture. If he becomes too out of control, take him to an emergency room or call the police or a mental health crisis team to take him. Please be careful and do not hesitate to call the police if the situation warrants their intervention.

I think my boyfriend is Schizophrenic