Home » My son found an adult magazine and is curious about pictures. What should I tell him?

My son found an adult magazine and is curious about pictures. What should I tell him?

Q: I drive a construction pick-up truck that sometimes goes from crew to crew. I am able to take it home after work at night. My problem is while the truck was in my driveway one weekend, my 5 year old son and his 4 year old cousin got in the truck to play. While going through the back seat they had found a adult dirty magazine under the seat, very explicit pictures. They had a few minutes to go through the magazine before I figured out what they were up to. My son told me what he was looking at in detail. I don’t have a way to explain or an idea what to tell him. Do I just let it go? I can’t get to upset with him, I fear it will make him more curious. please help me. p.s. I also have to explain to his mother.

A.

I’m sure that enough time has transpired by now that you have figured out some way to talk to your son and your wife but I still want to answer the question. When dealing with matters like this one, you always want to answer in a way that is age appropriate for the child. Obviously you can’t just ignore it because it happened, but you also don’t want to go too far to the other extreme and give him more information than he needs. I would suggest saying something about what adults do with their bodies but it is something that he doesn’t have to worry about yet, just like he doesn’t have to worry about having a job or paying bills. These are things that happen when you grow up. The other guideline I would suggest is to base what you say on what he asks. He may just have a few simple questions rather than needing an entire sex education talk. Most likely he will forget the whole thing soon unless it happens again. Now that it has happened, I would suggest extreme caution so that it doesn’t happen again. I’m sure you could get different opinions on what to say and how to say it on something like this. My biggest recommendation is to remember than he is only five. You may also want to be prepared for the questions to pop back up later when he has been exposed to more or is entering puberty himself. Good luck. Hope it went/goes well.