Home » Ask the Therapist » What should i do if my boyfriend does not depend on me anymore?

What should i do if my boyfriend does not depend on me anymore?

Q. Well he asked me do this favor of his but i told him that if i couldn’t do it asap is because i was sick and if i still don’t feel good..i couldn’t so i would do his favor the next day. But he got mad at me because i didn’t do what he asked me to on the same day..is that my fault or his?

A.

You should not want your boyfriend to depend on you as a way to keep him around. Your boyfriend should want to be around you and not just stay with you because you do favors for him. Secondly, what good man would get angry with you because you were too ill not do what he requested of you? The answer is simply: no good and decent man. You did not mention what favor he asked you to do but whatever it was, he could have been more considerate of the fact that you were sick. Hopefully, this was a one time event because if this is his standard everyday behavior, you should seriously consider getting a new, more thoughtful and understanding boyfriend. Good luck.