Home » Disorders » OCD » Can obsessive compulsive disorder be linked with thoughts of death?

Can obsessive compulsive disorder be linked with thoughts of death?

Q: For the past few weeks or so, I have been having obsessive thoughts about my boyfriend dying. These thoughts started when I had a dream about my dead grandmother, then the next day was thinking how terrible it was for my grandfather to lose someone he loved so much, and so on. I had been diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder a few years ago, and I was wondering if these thoughts are linked to that or if they are normal or what. Please help, these thoughts have been driving me nuts!

A.

Given the situation and the way you describe it, the thoughts could be related to either scenario.. OCD or just normal fear due to the dream. I would try to just ride it out and think about how you would cope and what you could do if you do lose someone you love. I think it is a normal fear that we all have and we can occasionally get stuck on a particular picture playing in our head. I also think it’s important to talk to the person you fear losing about how much you love them and how important they are in your life. This might help you feel better and you know that the person knows how you feel if something were to ever happen. Most of the things we fear never come true. If the thoughts don’t go away, it may be a symptom of the OCD and I would talk to your therapist and/or psychiatrist about them. Maybe by the time you read this you will already be feeling better.