Home » Ask the Therapist » Where do I start to get help?

Where do I start to get help?

Asked by on with 1 answer:

. Q. I’m a freshman in High School and I’m fifteen. I am adopted and I’ve always known, but I’m just finding out my birth mom was doing 6 drugs and was 16 and my birthfather was 25 which is obviously statutory rape. I was sexually abused from 9-12 and haven’t told anyone of authority, I was abused by a family friend and once by my adoptive father. I have a boyfriend and while dating him I’ve found out I can’t kiss or anything with out having what I think may be PTSD attacks. I start living in that moment and often think I’m there in the abusive moment and when I “come back” I’m usually curled up and just there. When I was eleven I started cutting myself and skipping meals. I stopped for a while, fell back into it. Last year I tried to kill myself. I’ve lost many friends for stupid high school jealousy and my entire grades heard rumors of me having sex or being raped etc. which is pointless…Today everyone thinks I’m okay but I’m not. I’m extremely depressed and cry several times a day, often I can’t even control it and will start sobbing in class which is very distracting. I feel sick and dizzy when I hear about other people being sick or hurt or in any discomfort sometimes to the point where I throw up. Sometimes I wish I won’t make it through high school…I used to see a Dr. but then my parents thought I treated it as a luxury and they have always been in denial of my mental state anyhow but now I don’t know what to do. Last year when things got this bad, this was when I started really sliding into suicidal thoughts. Now I don’t eat and try really hard not to cut, I cry more times a week than I can count, (I kept track in my planner for the school week and I cried 12 times in five days of classes which can’t be normal…. can it?) I get sick easily and my moods are all over the place. I have so many things piling up, please tell me where to start?

Where do I start to get help?

Answered by on -


Ask to see a therapist instead of a doctor. The issues that you are dealing with can be helped through therapy. Doctors usually only treat individuals with medicine and do not specialize in talk therapy. While you may be in need of medication, you are more in need of a therapist. Ask your parents and if they are not willing to help you into therapy, ask your school’s guidance counselor. Don’t continue to suffer alone. Reach out and ask for help. You’ll be glad you did. Take care.

Where do I start to get help?

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Where do I start to get help?. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 25, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.