Home » Relationships » Sexuality » I’m experiencing a lack of sexual desire.

I’m experiencing a lack of sexual desire.

Q: In the past 6 months or so, I have been experiencing a severe lack of sexual desire. I avoid sex almost always and when I do have sex with my boyfriend of 2 and 1/2 years I feel ashamed. I am only 19 years old and I feel like there is something wrong with me. My boyfriend is as understanding as he can be, but I know that this is upsetting him. I can feel it causing distance between us and I feel like I am a disappointment to him. Is there something wrong with me? Could I have HSDD and is there something that I could do to help to increase my sexual desire?

A.

There can be many things that contribute to a lack sexual desire. In young women like yourself there are usually emotional reasons and for older women it can be just part of the aging process. Before deciding you have Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder I would take a good look at your life. Are you satisfied with your relationship, your job, your social like? Are you exhausted from working and going to school at the same time? Do you have any symptoms of depression? If there seems to be nothing else amiss then its worth doing some reading and/or finding a sex therapist in your area. We all go through times when our sex life changes so hang in there and see if you can figure out what might be going on. You may want to ask your doctor to check your thyroid and hormone levels as well. Good luck.