Home » Ask the Therapist » Girlfriend has a drug problem?

Girlfriend has a drug problem?

current_problem: Ok Well i have been dating this girlfor 9 months and lately we been having alot of problems and i don’t know why. When we first started going out everything was fine but she had a drug problem with weed. I asked her to stop because i cared for her and she was just lazy and getting annoyed at me real easy and i was just tired of it and she listened for awhile she stopped completely. but then i caught her lying to me about 6 or 7 times and all those times it was about her doing drugs i mean she took awhole bunch of cough pills like 12 just to feel that high i think a big problem is her older sister i think shes the biggest influence and im scared lately because i love her so much and i know for a fact she does too. we could spend every minute together and never get tired of each other. but lately iam scared because ive been hearing roomers that she was doing meth and i see her almost everyday and there were no tell tale signs but when we first started going out in may she weighed 125 now its feb and she weighs 110 she said she’s been depressed and she hasen’t been getting good sleep she’s also started eating alot again now she weighs 115 i mean she dosen’t look anything close to a meth addict shes about 5″5 and she looks fine its just that her attitude has changed alot lately and she’s been treating me like crap and i don’t why she gets so annoyed and irritated lately, and i try to just calm down and let it go but all this is starting to come to a head and i need some help so hopefully you can help me out thank you for taking your time to read this.

Girlfriend has a drug problem?

A.

I think you do know why you are having problems but your heart isn’t letting you listen to your head. As lovely as this girl is, she has repeatedly lied to you. Furthermore, she is irritable and depressed and she treats you badly. It sounds like the high she gets from drugs is more important to her than the love she gets from you. Sadly, there isn’t a thing you can do about that if she doesn’t want to change. Please stop blaming her older sister. Your girlfriend is making her own decisions. And please don’t blame yourself if you end up breaking up. You’ve given her many chances and she has broken your trust every time. Since you love her so much, it’s probably worth the trouble to confront her and see if she will choose your relationship over getting high. I’m sorry to say I’m not optimistic.

Girlfriend has a drug problem?