Home » Ask the Therapist » Girlfriend Hears Voice of Aborted Baby

Girlfriend Hears Voice of Aborted Baby

Q. My girlfriend undertook an abortion around 8 months ago. As you can appreciate it was a rather traumatic time for us both. However, recently she disclosed to me that she has been hearing the voice of ‘Our baby’ in her head, telling her that she is evil and that she needs to die for what she did. She has also told me that she receives text messages from the baby with similar threats and comments. The situation got worse recently,after drinking alcohol and consuming cocaine, she became agitated with me for what I initially thought was her being oversensitive. I was tired and went to bed, waiting up for her. I received a phone call 30 minutes later from her on the mobile phone. She had taken off into the street, in her pyjamas in the cold rainy weather telling me that she was going to ‘end it all’ and that I would never see her again. I soon found her in the street, but she was extremely angry, telling me that she hated me, and that she wanted to be left alone. I must admit that I became angry and left her to return home. I refused to pick up the phone despite her constant calls. After 30 minutes she returned home and said that she couldn’t do it (suicide). She stated that the baby was and is always in her head and that she feels the only way to get rid of the voice is by killing herself. I am deeply concerned, and partly believe that the trauma of the abortion along with depression has caused her to experience this voice, specificaly that of the baby. I have been reluctant to consult mental health professionals, as I still feel that the problem may simply be psychological, rather than a severe mental health problem. The positive aspect of that terrible night when she wandered off into the night, was that she had the insight to return home even in the state that she was in. Could it be possible, that the trauma of the baby has manifested itself in the form of a voice in her head, because she feels so guilty. In addition the use of cocaine may be acting only to add to her parnoid delusions. She is currently using anti-depressants, and has refarined from using cocaine, although she admits that when she becomes upset she will hear the voice of the baby. I am deeply upset by what she has had to endure, and worried that I am not helping by encouraging her to seek mental health services.

Girlfriend Hears Voice of Aborted Baby

A.

You should absolutely encourage her to seek mental health services. Your girlfriend, after having an abortion, is delusional, hearing voices, using cocaine and has attempted suicide. Without knowing the full story or knowing her history well, I am unclear about what would exactly cause her to become delusional and to hear the voice of her baby. My educated opinion is that it is likely that the trauma or stress related to the abortion that brought all of this on. But knowing what is causing her to behave in such a manner is less important than getting her into some form of treatment from mental health professionals. It is most important at this time that you encourage her to seek treatment. If she does keep acting in this manner–leaving home, wondering the streets, using cocaine and experiencing depression and refuses help, then I would advise you to call a mental health crisis unit in for assistance or call the police to help her get to a hospital for a psychiatric evaluation. I am worried about her fragile and psychotic state of mind as well as her guilt regarding the abortion. What is also worrisome is her drug use coupled with suicidal ideation. These aforesaid symptoms in combination with drug use are a dangerous mix. I am worried that she is going to do something drastic to herself or someone else. By all means, please encourage her to get help. She is definitely in need of professional, psychiatric assistance. Do your best to help her into treatment. If she refuses help, call the police. With her stated threats of suicide and reports of “hearing voices” I am sure they will take her to a psychiatric unit for an evaluation. If you have any more questions, please write again.

Girlfriend Hears Voice of Aborted Baby