Home » Ask the Therapist » Need Help But Not Sure Where

Need Help But Not Sure Where

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Q. Been diagnosed with many disorders, there has never been a conclusion made, have been suffering from symptoms everyday: Hey, I’ve been experiencing depression for years now. Therapists have yet to give me a firm diagnosis on what my problem is. I was diagnosed as ADD as a child and bipolar & depressed as a teen. I’ve been put on various medcations such as Zoloft, Adderall, and Neurontin [ages 14 to 15] however they didn’t help. I was never put on lithium, like most bipolar disoder patients are. My depression symptoms have been very persistant, and I struggle with school work like someone with ADD. I need help, but I do not have sufficient access to a therapist since I am in college…Nor do I have the funds to pay for testing. My family is very much against me going back into therapy, especially after not being well diagnosed and being put on meds that didn’t work. They’re frustrated w/ the whole therapy thing, and I can’t blame them…But I feel like I still need some kind of help. I’m totally financially dependant on them, and the university counseling center has been of little help. Also, I think I was raped 3 times these past 2 years, and although I don’t feel as bad about it, sometimes I still experience terrible guilt…My family doesn’t know about this. Following the rapes I developed a little bout of social anxiety…Which I may or may not need help for, I really don’t know since I’m at a university where I don’t mix well with the kids [lots of drinking. It’s simply not me, I’m transferring this semester.] I’m sorry to ramble, but what should I do?

Need Help But Not Sure Where

Answered by on -


I know that you said that you tried the university counseling center and did not find it helpful. I would, however, suggest for you to try using their services again but this time with a different counselor. Keep switching therapists until you find one you like. Also, the therapy that you would receive at a university counseling center, in my experience, is analogous to private therapy. University counseling centers are commonly staffed with top psychologists and social workers and often offer 12-20 sessions to students, or more if needed free of charge. If you were to see a private therapist under most health insurance plans, they offer 20 sessions a year and usually require a co-payment with each visit. One is not better than the other; my point here is that they are similar. Many university counseling centers also have psychiatrists on staff in the event medication was being considered as part of your treatment plan. Since your parents are against therapy and you do not want to tell them that you may attend therapy again, my advice is to try the university counseling center at the new school that you are transferring to. Once at the new school, keep searching for a therapist until you find one you are comfortable with.

Also, one aspect of your question is confusing to me. You mentioned that you thought you were raped three times in two years. I am unclear about why you do not know if you were raped. How is it that you think that you were raped but are not sure? If you were indeed raped this many times, it would be helpful and even more important that you find a therapist that you like and who you are comfortable with to help you through a potentially difficult time. In summary, since your family is not open to therapy and you feel that you cannot tell them, the best help available to you in your situation would be at your local university counseling center. Please write again in you have any more questions. Take care.

Need Help But Not Sure Where

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Need Help But Not Sure Where. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 22, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.