Home » I can’t stand to be separated from my baby.

I can’t stand to be separated from my baby.

Q: Hi I have a son that will be 2 in april and everyone says that I baby him or I spoil him because I never let him out of my sight and it’s true! I won’t let him be babysat because I’m afraid something wil happen to him, I won’t even let my husband ,his father leave anywhere with him because I’m afraid something will happen and I’ll never get to see my baby again. I won’t let him sleep in his own room because I’m afraid he’ll kick his covers and off and get cold and I won’t be able to cover him up because I’m not next to him or I’m afraid there will be a fire and I won’t be able to get to him fast enough! My husband gets sick of it and we fight about it all the time but I can’t help it I’m even afraid to have another baby because I think may somehow favor my first born! whats wrong with me am I crazy, Is this seperation anxiety will my behavior affect my son? HELP!!!!

A.

Believe it or not, your symptoms may be a result of postpartum depression. For some women, the hormonal shifts that go with childbirth and nursing last for a couple of years! The anxiety you are describing is endangering your marriage, is effecting your ability to parent well, and is making you miserable. It’s time for you to consult with a psychiatrist. Some medicaiton and some talk therapy for support will probably help bring things down to a normal level of concern.