Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » Eating disorder question

Eating disorder question

Q. All of my friends have stated they think I have an eating disorder and should seek in patient treatment. I am 6 ft tall and weigh a disgusting 128 pounds. I don’t understand how anyone could think that I could easily lose another 10 pounds in my eyes. In the fall of 2005 I had a death of a family member and I am going through a custody battle, I have taken a year off work and feel that the stress itself can be blamed for the weight loss. What is the criteria for a doctor doing something about an eating disorder. I want to take my daughter for a phyical but don’t want my doctor to take any action if she sees what my friends say she will. What is the basis that a doctor will act on something like that? Thank you.

Eating disorder question

A.

The only time a doctor would be required to do anything in the situation you described is if he or she thought that you were homicidal or suicidal, and planning to hurt yourself or someone else. A doctor may comment about how “thin” you look but unless you are a danger to yourself or someone else, you will likely to be left alone. Weight is an over all sign of your physical well being. This is why we recognize a normal weight range. Weight loss below these levels is often a sign of a physical problem. It is also sometimes a sign of a psychological problem. I am more concerned about your eating behaviors than I am about your weight. If your behaviors are normal then it should be an easy matter for you to maintain a healthy weight. If you think that you are too heavy at 128 and you see yourself as being 10 pounds too heavy, then you most probably have an eating disorder. The lack of proper nutrition over time can cause death. If there is even a chance that you have an eating disorder allow a trained professional to make that determination. I hope this answers your questions.

Eating disorder question