Home » Depression » Depressed and can’t tell parents.

Depressed and can’t tell parents.

Asked by on with 1 answer:

Q: I have taken many depression tests/quizzes and they say I may have sever depression. I don’t think my parents will believe me. My close friends have also been saying I seem depressed and such. What should I do?

A: Bottom line is that you have to find a way to talk to your parents so they can help you get to a therapist. If you don’t think you can do this on your own, maybe you could talk to another family member you trust such as a sibling or grandparent who then could help you tell your parents. You can also request to see your school counselor who can then guide you in the right direction. You might try writing a letter to your parents telling them how you feel and asking them for help. No matter what though, you have to talk to them before things get worse. Good luck.

Depressed and can’t tell parents.

Answered by on -

Depressed and can’t tell parents.

Holly Counts, Psy.D.

Dr. Holly Counts is a licensed Clinical Psychologist. She utilizes a mind, body and spirit approach to healing. Dr. Counts received her Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Wright State University and her Masters and Doctoral degrees in Clinical Psychology from Nova Southeastern University. Dr. Counts has worked in a variety of settings and has specialized in trauma and abuse, relationship issues, health psychology, women’s issues, adolescence, GLBT, life transitions and grief counseling. She has specialty training in guided imagery, EMDR, EFT, hypnosis and using intuition to heal. Her current passion involves integrating holistic and alternative approaches to health and healing with psychology.

APA Reference
Counts, H. (2018). Depressed and can’t tell parents.. Psych Central. Retrieved on May 23, 2019, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.