Q: Over the past year or two, I have been experiencing a lot of symptoms indicative of borderline personality disorder, such as severe mood swings, dependency, separation anxiety, unstable self-image, and self-mutilation. I wondered what I should do. Should I seek help from a local psychologist/psychiatrist? I just want the chaos to stop.

Many of the symptoms that you have listed are included in the criteria for Borderline Personality Disorder. However, given your age of 19 there could be other factors leading to these symptoms, such as hormonal changes, moving away from home to go to college, any kind of trauma history, etc. I do suggest being evaluated by a mental health professional and you may also benefit from a thorough medical evaluation. Although self-mutilation is becoming more prevalent in our society, it is a sign of a more serious problem and if not addressed can lead to more harmful behaviors. Follow your instincts and get some help. It is important to find a therapist whom you feel comfortable with so you can truly open up and get the most you can from the experience. You may also go to the local library or bookstore and get some self-help books or workbooks to help you along the way. Acknowledging a problem is the first step in correcting it and you have already accomplished this. I wish you luck.