Home » Therapist abandoned group

Therapist abandoned group

Q. Awhile back I was part of a depression group therapy. The group was great, good people, fantastic dynamic. I really felt that I was getting a lot out of the experience, as did the rest of the group. One evening, the Therapist suddenly announced that he was taking an extended vacation, and would contact us when he returned *if* he decided to resume the group at all. He allowed no discussion on the matter, and never contacted any of us to let us know what was going on. I’m wondering what you think of a professional doing something like this, and what you think should have been the appropriate way to express our opinions about it?

Therapist abandoned group

A.

Your therapist is a human being and he has the potential to experience all of the life problems which humans may face. Maybe he is having problems in his life that he did not think the group members would understand or he may not have thought it was appropriate to share them with the group. There are many reasons, perhaps personal problems that could have made it impossible for him to go on and continue to help other people. If he was as good a clinician as you portray in your e-mail, it is important that you and your other group members show him compassion as you accept his decision.

Therapist abandoned group