- How To Start Loving Your Unmotivated Self
- Tidbits On Love And Marriage
- Valentine's and the Single Girl
- Bipolar Love
- 5 Reasons Why ADHDers Make Better Lovers
- Enhancing Intimacy: The Art of Listening
- Thinking About Marriage? 7 Meaningful Rules Of Engagement
- Double Dating Can Revive Passion in Relationships
- Top 10 Healthy Valentine's Day Ideas for Active Couples
- For Valentine's Day, I Give You My (Single at) Heart
Every year, the world turns to Valentine's Day to remind us to renew our committments and declarations of love to that special person in our lives. While Valentine's Day became associated with romantic love in the circle of Geoffrey Chaucer when the tradition of courtly love flourished, today it's characterized by the giving of cards and flowers, an outward sign of two people's love for one another.
While we don't really know all of the reasons some relationships survive and others thrive, we do have some pretty good ideas. In this special guide, we've gathered together articles that focus on love, relationships and Valentine's Day, including one that offers you a simple relationship-building exercise you and your lover can do together.
New This Year
- Valentine's Day: Love When You Are Feeling Blue
- This Valentine's Day: Compromise with the One You Love
- 7 Simple Ways to Connect to Your Partner
Sometimes the simple things are the best things to do.
- 8 Reasons to Celebrate Love
- The Pressure of Valentine's Day
How can you make the day more enjoyable for both of you?
- 6 Tips to Avoid Valentine's Day Traps
How can you avoid the traps that many couples get into around Valentine's Day?
- Why Does She Love Him?
- Valentine's Day: Can People with Bipolar Disorder Have Healthy Relationships?
- Good Communication in Marriage Starts with Respect
Communication is the mortar that holds a relationship together -- if it breaks down, the relationship will crumble.
- 5 Easy Steps to Better Communication
Being able to express yourself clearly and being able to listen well can help you avoid a great deal of stress in your closest relationship.
- Learning to Say No
Do you wish you could put your foot down sometimes and say no?
- 6 Steps For Better Communication on Valentine's Day
Now's a good time to make your relationship even better!
- 10 Rules for Friendly Fighting for Couples
Not exactly romantic, but hey, even the best of relationships sometimes need a little help when the chips are down and we're arguing with our loved one.
- Couples Can Communicate Without Anger
Effective communication requires a willingness to listen to the other person's point of view without getting defensive.
Improving Your Relationship
- 7 Simple Steps to Improve Your Relationship
- 5 Ways to Show Your Loved Ones Some Love This Valentine's Day
- 3 Steps to Evolving Valentine's Day: A Day of Connection and Compassion
- 7 Tips for the Romantically Challenged on Valentine's Day
Whether you're stumped on what to get your sweetheart or romantically clumsy (or clueless), these tips from two seasoned relationship experts can help!
- 4 Steps for Working on Your Relationship
How to improve your romantic relationship in four steps.
- Understanding Jealousy in Your Relationship
For as long as there have been men, women, and relationships there has been jealousy, the fear of losing the person you love to a rival.
- Be My Valentine: An Exercise to Grow Your Relationship
It's almost Valentine's Day! Do the following exercise to learn where your relationship could use a boost. Along with the usual card or flowers, consider giving your sweetheart the gift of efforts to make your relationship stronger.
- 5 Secrets to a Successful Long-Term Relationship or Marriage
There have been a thousand or more articles written about how to have a successful long-term relationship or marriage, but none that seem to capture some of the core ingredients I've found important in relationships.
- Surviving Valentine's Day and Beyond: Coping with Relationship Stress
With Valentine's Day fast approaching, our thoughts turn to the often-tricky area of romantic relationships.
- Building Resilience
Resilient relationships not only survive struggle and adversity, they grow stronger.
- Choosing Happiness in Our Lives Revisited
At some point in our life, we may forget or give up the responsibility of directing our life to where we want it to go.
- Healing Your Relationship
For most people, it seems, learning about relationships is a matter of trial and error, often with a lot of pain and heartache mixed in.
- Facing Enduring Differences and Getting to We
Enduring differences develop out of expectations learned from one's family of origin (for example, gender roles) and longstanding character traits (for example, submissiveness).
Gifts & Valentine's Day
- 5 Great Low or No-Cost Gift Ideas for Valentine's Day
- Give the Gift of Mental Health This Valentine's Day!
- Is Happiness Tied to Emotions or Material Gifts?
Should you focus on an experience -- like a shared dinner together -- or a gift -- such as flowers -- this Valentine's Day? Research has a few answers.
- Chocolate as a Stress Reliever
With Valentine's Day on the horizon, a new study gives additional support for treating your loved one with sweets for the special day.
Love & Sex
- Self-ishness: The Key to Finding Lasting Love
- Relationship Experts On True Love & Making Love Last
- 10 Things You Can Learn About Love From A Dog
- Valentine's Day Massacred
- Is Virtual Sex Destined to Become Your New BFF?
- Friends with Benefits: Can Women Handle It?
Why can't we just have casual sexual encounters without involving our emotions?
- Stay Sexy Your Entire Life!
If you are over 50 and want the best that life has to offer, you probably desire a passionate, stimulating sex life.
- Matchmaker, Matchmaker: Love Meets Reality
Do online matchmaking services really work?
- Valentine's Day:
A Time to Celebrate Many Kinds of Love
For those who are romancing, it is a day for declaring love and devotion and for showering one's beloved with sentimental gifts, candy, and cards.
- The Secret to Being Loved
As basic and important as love is, it certainly isn't simple. I know it doesn't sound very romantic, but love is a skill as well as an emotion.
- Showing Children How To Love: A Year-Round Gift
How did you know your parents loved each other? Looking for material for a Valentine's Day story, I took a poll of adult friends as we sat around waiting for our kids to get out of the locker room.
- Valentine's Day and Parental LOVE
Did you know that about 40 percent of the 180 million Valentine's cards purchased this year will be bought by parents for their children?
- Celebrate Your Family's Heart this Valentine's Day
A good day to think of who we love and why we love them.
Loneliness, Grief and Singlehood
- Why This Confirmed Bachelor Likes Valentine's Day: Guest Post by Elliott Lewis
- What is Life Like for Singles Who Wanted to Marry?
- What Do You Look For in a Partner? How to Find Love This Valentine's Day
- 5 Ways To Make Your Valentine's Day An ADHD Success!
- My Bipolar Valentine: A Reflection on Collecting Hearts
- Valentine's Day: Love and the Lonely Heart
This love celebration often comes with some serious pangs of loneliness.
- Alone and Lonely on Valentine's Day? Try Contributing
Have you ever viewed the holiday as an opportunity to express your gratitude and contribute to others?
- Coping with Grief on Valentine's Day
Losing a loved one stays with us forever. But holidays, in particular, can make the loss even tougher to handle.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 29 Mar 2015
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.