Leading scientists gather to discuss developments in infectious disease research
ASTMH 55th Annual Meeting at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta
SAVE THE DATE
Leading Scientists Gather to Discuss Developments in Research, Prevention and Treatment of Emerging Global Viruses
WHO: The American Society Of Tropical Medicine And Hygiene (ASTMH)
WHAT: The Latest Findings Regarding the Prevention, Treatment and Containment of Emerging and Global Infectious Diseases
WHEN: November 12-16, 2006
WHERE: ASTMH 55th Annual Meeting at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis, Atlanta, Ga.
BACKGROUND: More than 2,000 leading researchers and scientists in the area of infectious and emerging disease are expected to attend the 55th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene to discuss science and issues related to the prevention and treatment of global health threats. Topics and speakers scheduled for the Atlanta meeting this year include:
- Infectious diseases affecting members of the active military
- Diseases in the Tropics Ė What travelers need to know -- updates on infectious diseases commonly encountered in the developing world, including malaria, leishmaniasis, Dengue fever and food and water-borne protozoan parasites
- Disease threats posed by domestic and wild animals, including West Nile disease and Monkey Pox
- Why we are seeing an increase in Bubonic Plague cases in the United States
- Development of New Drugs for Tropical and Emerging Diseases -- exploring existing efforts to develop new medicines to treat tropical and emerging diseases that lack adequate therapies, particularly for malaria
- Immigrant and refugee health, including immunizations and women's health issues
Special Guest Speakers:
- Julie L. Gerberding, M.D., M.P.H., Director of the Center for Diseases Control, Atlanta, Ga., who will address: Menaces, Mysteries and Marvels: Combating 21st Century Microbes
- Roger Glass, M.D., Ph.D., director, Fogarty International Center, who will provide an update on the New Directions Being Taken by the Fogarty Center
The meeting will also address results of clinical trials to measure the effectiveness of other infectious and emerging diseases and biological threats prevalent throughout the world.
ALL PRESS MUST BE PREREGISTERED AND PROVIDE PRESS CREDENTIALS TO ATTEND THIS MEETING. For more information on registrations for the ASTMH meeting, contact Ivette Zamora at [email protected] (203) 325-8772 x24 or Rosalind D'Eugenio at [email protected] (203) 325-8772 x13.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 Apr 2016
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.