You (especially your bones) are what you eat
IOF to launch most ambitious World Osteoporosis Day to date; October 'bone nutrition' event to involve national osteoporosis societies in more than 80 countries
The International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) will launch its biggest campaign to date on World Osteoporosis Day (WOD) 2006, celebrated worldwide on October 20.
The campaign, "Year of Bone Nutrition - Bone Appétit: The role of food and nutrition in building and maintaining strong bones" will feature:
- A major new report on the impact of nutrition and eating habits – both positive and negative – on bone health Fact sheets summarizing the latest science on bone nutrition
- Imaginative new posters, and information leaflets for the general public
- 12 new Public Service Announcements featuring personalities such as action movie star Jet Li, world famous chef Martin Yan, children's TV star Sportacus from Lazy Town, and sports personalities including French footballer Gregory Coupet
- Imaginative national activities involving many of the 173 IOF member societies in some 86 locations
On the same day, IOF will also launch a new website, which will feature an extensive section on nutrition and bone health, including information for the public and health professionals, a global recipe database, and a calcium intake calculator.
Journalists are invited to attend international media seminars which will launch the campaign and provide background briefings from world experts on the relation between food and strong bones. These will take place:
- 29 September: Madrid, Spain – Anglophone launch for European journalists
- 13 October: Paris, France – Francophone launch for European journalists
- 20 October: Hong Kong – Global launch with emphasis on Asia
- 17 November: Panama – Latin American and Caribbean launch
WOD 2006 is supported by an unrestricted educational grant provided by four Global Gold Sponsors: Fonterra Brands, Novartis, MSD, and Tetra Pak.
For more information on the campaign, an invitation to a media seminar, or to be put in touch with an IOF member society in your country, please contact:
Paul Spencer Sochaczewski, Head of Communications,
International Osteoporosis Foundation:
Tel. 41-22-994-0100, Fax. 41-22-994-0101
E-mail: [email protected]
© 2006 International Osteoporosis Foundation
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 21 Feb 2009
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.