Diabetes program demonstrates comprehensive care approach to NYC participants
Harlem Hospital announces results of collaboration with BD Diabetes Makeover ProgramWHAT:
To help meet the challenge of NYC's growing incidence of diabetes, East Harlem's North General Hospital and BD, a leading global medical technology company – are collaborating to promote the successful principles of the BD Diabetes Makeover Program to New York City.
This demonstration project is a model to help those with diabetes understand and apply a comprehensive approach to self-managing their disease. Led by a team of the City's top clinical, diabetes education, nutrition, fitness and lifestyle organization experts, the 11-week program focused on educating New York City residents affected by the disease. Speakers will address:
- Initial results from the 11-week program
- The value of diabetes education programs and resources for all populations
- The comprehensive approach to diabetes self-management
- Tips and resources for New Yorkers with diabetes to help them better self-manage their disease
- In New York City alone, nearly 500,000 adults have been diagnosed with diabetes and estimates suggest that over 200,000 others are living with the disease and don't know it
- Studies show that one way to limit serious diabetes-related complications is to control blood glucose levels through regular blood glucose monitoring, diet, exercise, and medication
- The BD Diabetes Makeover Program demonstration project has achieved successful results, to date
- The BD Diabetes Makeover Program has been recognized by the American Diabetes Association (published abstract- 2005) and presented at the American Association of Diabetes Educator's Scientific Session (2005)
- Dr. Diana Berger – Medical director of the New York Department of Health and Mental Hygiene's Diabetes Prevention and Control Program
- Dr. Valentine Burroughs – Chief Medical Officer and Chairman of the Department of Medicine at North General Hospital and member of the NYC BD Diabetes Dream Team
- Andrea Zaldivar – Clinical Director of North General Hospital Diagnostic and Treatment Center and a member of the NYC BD Diabetes Dream Team
- BD Diabetes NYC Makeover Participant
Tuesday, June 27, 2006
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. EDT
North General Hospital Diagnostic and Treatment Center
1879 Madison Avenue (at 122nd St., across from Marcus Garvey Memorial Park)
New York, NY 10035
For directions to North General Hospital, visit: http://www.northgeneral.org/contact.html.
CONTACT: For more information, contact Michael Marinello at 201-847-7437 or [email protected].
RSVP: Please call or email Jessica Jais at 312-297-7421 or [email protected].
Resource materials are available in both English and Spanish.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 Apr 2016
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.