AMS hurricane and tropical cyclone conference starts next week in MontereyMore than 200 hurricane and tropical storm experts will be in Monterey, California from April 24-28, 2006 to discuss all aspects of one of nature's more dangerous phenomena.
WHAT: 27th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology
WHEN: April 24-28, 2006
WHERE: Hyatt Regency Resort and Conference Center, Monterey, California
During the four-day symposium, scientists from around the globe will discuss all aspects of hurricanes and tropical systems. The topics will include storms structure; current research projects; predicting seasonal variability; the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season; advances in hurricane modeling; risk management; related issues such as flooding, storm surge and excessive rainfall; and understanding the relationship and impact of climate change.
The complete program is available on the American Meteorological Society Web site at http://www.ametsoc.org/meet/fainst/200627hurricanes.html
There will be a special panel discussion on Tuesday, April 25 starting at 7 p.m. on the long-term variations in tropical cyclone activity – possible causes and effects. Speakers include:
- Max Mayfield, NOAA, National Hurricane Center - Summary of recent Atlantic tropical cyclone activity;
- Peter Webster, Georgia Institute of Technology -- Tropical cyclone trends in a warming environment;
- Johnny C. L. Chan, City University of Hong Kong -- Possible causes of interdecadal variations in tropical cyclone activity in the western North Pacific;
- Kerry Emanuel, MIT -- Natural v. forced variability of Atlantic tropical cyclones
- Christopher Landsea, NOAA/National Hurricane Center -- Global warming and extreme tropical cyclones: are the tropical cyclone databases adequate for detection of climate trends?
- Moderator - Russell L. Elsberry, NPS, Monterey
Media are invited to attend the sessions and interview the experts. All media must register at the main AMS registration desk to receive access to the meeting.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 Apr 2016
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.