News media registration opens for 2006 Joint Assembly in Baltimore
6 Earth and space science organizations to present latest research1. About Joint Assembly
The 2006 Joint Assembly (formerly Spring Meeting) brings together researchers from six scientific societies:
- American Geophysical Union (AGU)
- Geochemical Society (GS)
- Microbeam Analysis Society (MAS)
- Mineralogical Society of America (MSA)
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
- Unión Geofísica Mexicana (UGM)
The mission of each society is summarized on the Joint Assembly home page, with links to their respective Web sites: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja06/
In more than 2,000 oral and poster presentations, researchers will present the latest Earth and space science research from all of the sponsoring societies. A program of press conferences will highlight some of the important new discoveries to be presented during this four-day meeting. They are currently in development and will be described in subsequent media advisories.
2. Hotel Booking Now Open
Hotels near the Baltimore Convention Center are offering rooms to Joint Assembly participants at special rates. Availability is limited; hotels may sell our prior to the 13 April cut-off date. Cancellation is possible until 11 May without penalty.
For further information and to make a booking: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja06/?content=travel
3. News Media Registration Information
International reporters: If you are neither a citizen nor a permanent resident of the United States, you need a visa to cover meetings in the U.S. This applies also to reporters from countries in the Visa Waiver Program, who do not need visas to visit the U.S. as tourists. For current information, see the official State Department web site: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1276.html.
Please apply for your visa early.
News Media registrants receive a badge that provides access to any of the scientific sessions of the meeting, as well as to the Press Room and Briefing Room. No one will be admitted to press conferences, sessions, or the exhibition hall without a valid badge.
News Media registrants who have preregistered will pick up their badges upon arrival at the convention center. Be prepared to show identification (see below).
If you have not preregistered, you may fill out a News Media Registration Form onsite, presenting appropriate identification (see below). Your badge will be made while you wait.
Eligibility for press registration is limited to the following persons:
- Working press employed by bona fide news media: must present a press card, business card, or letter of introduction from an editor of a recognized publication.
- Freelance science writers: must present a current membership card from NASW, a regional affiliate of NASW, CSWA, ISWA, or SEJ; or evidence of by lined work pertaining to science intended for the general public and published in 2005 or 2006; or a letter from the editor of a recognized publication assigning you to cover 2006 Joint Assembly.
- Public information officers of scientific societies, educational institutions, and government agencies: must present a business card.
Note: Representatives of publishing houses, for profit corporations, and the business side of news media must register at the main registration desk at the meeting and pay the appropriate fees, regardless of possession of any of the above documents. They are not accredited as News Media at the meeting.
Scientists who are also reporters and who are presenting at this meeting (oral or poster session) may receive News Media credentials if they qualify (see above), but must also register for the meeting and pay the appropriate fee as a presenter.
4. News Media Registration Form
The News Media Registration Form is set up for online submission, but includes a link to a version that can be printed and faxed or mailed. Go to: http://www.agu.org/meetings/ja06/?content=media&show=pressReg_online
The last day for advance News Media registration, assuring that your badge will be waiting for you when you arrive, is Monday, 15 May 2006. You may also register onsite.
Last reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 30 Apr 2016
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.