Researchers from the Department of Radiation Oncology and the Milton and Caroll Petrie Department of Urology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine are presenting findings from ten studies of prostate and breast cancer treatments at the 47th Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), October 16-20, 2005, in Denver, Colorado.
The research results being detailed:
- A higher incidence of ATM gene variants in African American Women. (Lead author: G. Fan)
- A significant percentage (at seven years minimum) of men with normal pre-treatment sexual function were able to experience a high rate of erectile function as quantified by the IIEF-5 and physician assigned a scoring system. (Lead author: J.A. Cesaretti)
- Possession of a mutated ATM gene is associated with the development of grade 2 proctitis for patients treated with 125I brachytherapy. (Lead author: J.A. Cesaretti)
- A specific genetic alteration is predictive for the development of late adverse radiotherapy responses among breast cancer patients treated with adjuvant radiation therapy. (Lead author: A.Y. Ho)
- Prostate brachytherapy is generally well tolerated and appears to be safe in patients with a history of IBD. (Lead author: C.A. Peters)
- If biologically effective doses can be achieved, excellent long-term biochemical and local control rates can be realized. (Lead author: R.G. Stock)
- Overall long term morbidity associated with brachytherapy with or without HT and EBRT is low. (Lead author: N.N. Stone)
- Insight into patient's erectile function post-brachytherapy can b well-assessed using the Mount Sinai Erectile Function Scale, along with, the International Index of Erectile Function-15. (Lead author: T.M. Zagar)
- Ultrasound-guided brachytherapy is a reasonable salvage option for patients with biopsy proven biochemical recurrence following definitive external beam radiation therapy. (Lead author: K. Lo)
Source: Eurekalert & othersLast reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 21 Feb 2009
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
There was never a genius without a tincture of madness.