Osteoporosis Patient Societies win US$ 126,000 in grants
At the International Osteoporosis Foundation World Wide Conference of Osteoporosis Patient Societies conference, held in Bangkok, Thailand, from September 27-30, 2005, eleven national osteoporosis societies won IOF grants valued at US$ 126,000.
IOF-Novartis Osteoporosis Education Grants
Five grants of US$10,000 each for the most imaginative education projects were awarded to:
- Indonesian Osteoporosis Society (Indonesia) for their project "PEROSI campaign"
- Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center (Iran) for the project "Constructing stronger bones"
- Jordanian Osteoporosis Prevention Society (Jordan) for their project "Be good to your bones"
- Fundacion de Osteoporosis y Enfermedades Metabolicas Oseas (Panama) for their project "My bank of bones"
- Taiwanese Osteoporosis Association (Taiwan) for their project "Public education materials"
IOF-Roche GSK Communications Grants
Three grants of US$10,000 each for creative communications campaigns were awarded to:
- Norwegian Osteoporosis Society (Norway) for their project "Nordic walking"
- FHOEMO (Spain) for their project "Spanish campaign on osteoporosis"
- Uruguayan Rheumatology Society (Uruguay) for their project "Advertising for prevention of osteoporosis"
IOF-Amgen Health Professionals Awareness Grants
Three grants of US$10,000 each for innovative ways to communicate with health professionals were awarded to:
- Beinvernd (Iceland) for their project "Osteoporosis concerns us all!"
- Indian Society of Bone and Mineral Research (India) for their project "National Bone Health Quiz"
- Osteoporosis New Zealand (New Zealand) for their project "Osteoporosis management guidelines"
IOF Linda Edwards Memorial Grant
This grant of Swiss francs 20,000 is in memory of the late Linda Edwards, who was head of the (UK) National Osteoporosis Society and one of the founders of the global osteoporosis patients movement. It was awarded to:
- Slovene Osteoporosis Patient Society (Slovenia)
For more information visit http://www.osteofound.org.
Source: Eurekalert & othersLast reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 21 Feb 2009
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.