Arlington, VA, May 22, 2005 - Chemical Abstracts Service and FIZ Karlsruhe have announced the release of new software, STN AnaVist, that will give information professionals a variety of ways to analyze and view information found in scientific literature and patents, giving them greater value from search results and better support for critical business decisions.
The co-operators of the STN network made the announcement today during the PIUG annual meeting in Alexandria, Virignia. STN InternationalSM is the premier online service for science and technology, offering a collection of more than 220 high-quality online databases. STN is currently used by thousands of organizations worldwide.
Capabilities available in STN AnaVist, to be released this summer, were developed in response to the expressed needs of information professionals for advanced tools to help them analyze search results from scientific literature and patent databases and visualize patterns and trends in the research landscape. Now, searchers will be able to assimilate and present information more effectively to support competitive intelligence, research & development strategy and management decision-making.
"STN AnaVist creates an interactive workspace to interpret patent and research data in new and innovative ways. It allows users to identify relationships between the data. The features enhance views on developments in research and technology thus providing the most valuable information for business critical decisions," says Sabine Brünger-Weilandt, Managing Director and CEO of FIZ Karlsruhe. "Through pictures and landscapes, based on the traditional research results, our users will gain exciting new perspectives and insights – a new vista of scientific knowledge."
"The information challenge of the 21st Century is not information access, but information utilization. STN AnaVist is an important first step from the STN partnership to bring new technologies to bear on this challenge," said CAS President Robert J. Massie. "Using results from CAS databases and others on STN, information users will now be able to view the competitive landscape, visualize where research is heading--receive a much greater return on their investment in information."
Key features of STN AnaVist include:
- Analysis of information from three leading scientific resources: CAS' CAplusSM database of scientific literature and patent information and the USPATFULL and PCTFULL patent databases containing the full text of U.S. and Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) patents;
- An interactive workspace displaying a range of data visualizations, dynamically integrated, including cluster and contour maps, histograms, and co-occurrence matrices;
- Harmonization and standardization of data prior to visualization using algorithms based on intellectual data analysis;
- A data grouping feature that helps to minimize scattering of results by permitting editing and customizing data elements across the databases;
- Flexible tools for deeper analysis of data subsets;
Two options for creating results for analysis:
- Integrated concept search capability within STN AnaVist
- Import of search results into STN AnaVist from the popular STN Express® software
All of these powerful options for data analysis are available in a modern, easy-to-use interface.
Source: Eurekalert & othersLast reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 21 Feb 2009
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
The beauty of balance is that I can do it all and not feel bad about my choices, because every moment is an opportunity to start all over again.