A common agenda for health from the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association, and the American Heart Association
WHEN/WHERE: Live: 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. EDT
Tuesday, June 15, 2004 (continental breakfast starts at 9:00 a.m.)
Barclay-Intercontinental Hotel, 111 East 48th Street, NYC
A telephone news conference will be held at 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., EDT. Call-in number: 1-800-289-0436 (Pre-registration not required.)
- Announcement of a historic joint initiative by the American Cancer Society, American Diabetes Association and American Heart Association to help lower the risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke by following a single set of recommendations as published in: June 15, 2004 rapid access issue of Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association
- Diabetes Care (July 2004)
- American Cancer Society's CA: A Cancer Journal for Clinicians (July/August 2004)
- Announcement of the first, unified health recommendations for the public and joint screening advice for physicians on cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke
- Launch of a comprehensive public awareness campaign, "Everyday Choices For A Healthier Life," including PSAs sponsored by The Ad Council, joint website, 800-number and educational materials
- Augustus O. Grant, M.D., Ph.D., F.A.H.A., American Heart Association president
- Ralph B. Vance, M.D., F.A.C.P., American Cancer Society president
- Eugene Barrett, M.D., Ph.D., American Diabetes Association president
- Peggy Conlon, President & CEO, The Advertising Council
WHY: Nearly 2 out of every 3 deaths is caused by cancer, diabetes, heart disease and stroke.
That's close to 1.5 million Americans' lives lost each year.
To receive a media kit or more information contact:
- Darcy Spitz, American Heart Association: 212-878-5940, (email@example.com)
- Suzanne Grant, American Heart Association: 214-706-1467, (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Diane Tuncer, American Diabetes Association: 703-299-5510, (email@example.com)
- Kendra Gutschow, RD, American Diabetes Association: 703-549-1500 x2146,(firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Eric Miller, American Cancer Society: 404-417-5839, (email@example.com)
- Susan Raphael, American Cancer Society: 212-237-3884, (susan.Raphael@cancer.org).
Source: Eurekalert & othersLast reviewed: By John M. Grohol, Psy.D. on 21 Feb 2009
Published on PsychCentral.com. All rights reserved.
Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.
-- Marie Curie