Rubin’s Love Scale and Rubin’s Liking Scale
Subjects are asked to answer the following questions concerning their
attitudes towards the loved one.
1. If [loved one] were feeling badly, my first duty would be to cheer him/her up.
2. I feel that I can confide in [loved one] about virtually everything.
3. I find it easy to ignore [loved one]’s faults.
4. I would do almost anything for [loved one].
5. I feel very possessive toward [loved one].
6. If I could never be with [loved one], I would feel miserable.
7. If I were lonely, my first thought would be to seek [loved one] out.
8. One of my primary concerns is [loved one]’s welfare.
9. I would forgive [loved one] for practically anything.
10. I feel responsible for [loved one]’s well being.
11. When I am with [loved one], I spend a good deal of time just looking at him/her.
12. I would greatly enjoy being confided in by [loved one].
13. It would be hard for me to get along without [loved one].
Subjects are asked to answer the flowing questions regarding a close friend.
1. When I am with [friend], we are almost always in the same mood.
2. I think that [friend] is unusually well adjusted.
3. I would highly recommend [friend] for a responsible job.
4. In my opinion, [friend] is an exceptionally mature person.
5. I have great confidence in [friend]’s good judgment.
6. Most people would react very favorably to [friend] after a brief acquaintance.
7. I think that [friend] and I are quite similar to each other.
8. I would vote for [friend] in a class or group election.
9. I think that [friend] is one of those people who quickly wins respect.
10. I feel that [friend] is an extremely intelligent person.
11. [Friend] is one of the most likeable people I know.
12. [Friend] is the sort of person whom I myself would like to be.
13. It seems to me that it is very easy for [friend] to gain admiration.
Answers are on a 9-point Likert scale from “Not True” to “Definitely True” for each scale.
Reference: Rubin, Z. (1970). Measurement of romantic love. Journal of Personality and Scoail Psychology, 16:265-273.
Grohol, J. (2013). Rubin’s Love Scale and Rubin’s Liking Scale. Psych Central. Retrieved on August 3, 2015, from http://psychcentral.com/lib/rubins-love-scale-and-rubins-liking-scale/