Is It Normal to be Embarrassed About Masturbation?
~ 1 min read
My fiancé won’t masturbate in front of me. I’ve told him that I enjoy watching him masturbate, but he says that he gets embarrassed. Is there any way that I can get him to let me watch him masturbate? He masturbates quite frequently, and we’ve done everything else; he just won’t do this. Is it normal for him to be so embarrassed?
Given all of the negative messages we receive about masturbation while growing up, it is quite common to retain some elements of shame and embarrassment about this very natural and healthy activity. You should count yourself lucky for being so enlightened and comfortable with your sexuality and your partner that you find yourself able to masturbate so openly.
I think the solution is here is to use a light touch (pardon the pun). All you can do is reassure your fiancé that there is nothing to be embarrassed about and that you would like to see him masturbate. But, beyond that, I think you need to give it time. If you yourself masturbate openly in front of him, that will go a long way in making him feel that this is nothing to be ashamed of.
He may always feel a little strange about masturbating in front of you, but there may be ways to lessen this feeling. For example, you might want to start by masturbating together with the lights out. Or, perhaps, you can ask him to tell you about a particularly memorable masturbatory experience. Eventually, he will probably come around.
- Is It Normal to Masturbate When You’re Married?
- Self-Esteem Struggles and Strategies That Can Help
- Should I Tell My Husband I Masturbate?
- Donald Trump and the Narcissistic Illusion of Grandiosity
- Clinicians on the Couch: 10 Questions with Therapist Joy Malek
- Is Your Guilt True or False?
- Conquering Codependency
- How Insecurity Leads to Envy, Jealousy, and Shame
- When Your Loved One Has Body Dysmorphic Disorder
- Clinicians on the Couch: 10 Questions with Therapist Elizabeth Sullivan
Ashworth, M. (2013). Is It Normal to be Embarrassed About Masturbation?. Psych Central. Retrieved on December 2, 2015, from http://psychcentral.com/lib/is-it-normal-to-be-embarrassed-about-masturbation/